Friday, July 25, 2014

Japan Day 7, Part 3: The Giant Gate Guardians of Todai-ji Nanai-mon

Todai-ji is an enormous temple, so it is fitting that it have a similarly gigantic gate. 


The guardians in the gatehouse were of a similarly colossal scale. 


These amazing wooden statues were carved about eight hundred years ago and have been recently restored. They are some of the best wood carving I have seen anywhere. The guardian gods are as lifelike as they are huge, and are forever what I'll use for a mental reference when I think of giants.




A single foot was large enough to crush me, and was so detailed you could practically see the muscles flexing under the skin. 



Being around giants causes one to look up, and the rest of the gatehouse was not disappointing. One of the many things I love about Japanese temples is that even the rafters are elegant.


0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP